Goa is a small county in the West India, located at the Arabian Sea. The area used to belong to Portugal and was returned to India in 1961 and due to this past it differs substantially from the rest of India. The main religion in Goa is Hinduism with 65%, in addition Catholicism with 24%, and the region also has a very small Muslim population. Goa's climate is tropical and the annual average temperature is about 26 C during the rainy season from June to October. Goa is a very popular beach resort and particularly popular among hippies. The county is also exceptionally clean and safe in comparison to the rest of India. There are also numerous churches, temples, art galleries and museums, as well as the normal beach activities, like swimming and kitesurfing. The entire coastline of the province consists of sandy beaches, so in spite of the number of people, good beaches are easy to find.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Goa forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Goa is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $31.97, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $92.53, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $39.81
- Hotel (3 stars): $54.87
- Hotel (4 stars): $101.10
- Hotel (5 stars): $188.14
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.59
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.48
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.83
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.52
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.11
Goa has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 52.1 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 76.7 (better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 50.0 (better than United states average 41.1)
More information: Goa safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.