Chennai (formerly known as Madras) is a large city in India's south-east, located at the Bay of Bengal. Its sandy coastline is the second longest beach in the world within a city. The majority of the population in Chennai are Tamils and due to that, the culture is a little different than in northern India. The city has a number of beautiful and long sandy beaches, which are essentially unfit for swimming due to strong currents. Due to the Tamil culture in the area, t-shirts and shorts and shorter clothing is inappropriate and causes at least stare and resentment. Within the city there is also a large number of temples, mosques and churches. The area is a bit safer than the rest of India, but especially women should avoid to travel alone.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Chennai forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Chennai is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $25.95, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $116.87, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $73.03
- Hotel (3 stars): $107.04
- Hotel (4 stars): $97.78
- Hotel (5 stars): $133.44
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.66
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.65
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.87
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.66
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.00
Chennai has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 58.9 (better than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 81.6 (better than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 53.5 (better than United states average 42.1)
More information: Chennai safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.