Amritsar is a fairly large city in northwestern India, near the border between Pakistan and India (28 km from the border). The city's by far the most famous attraction is the Harmandir Sahib, or Golden Temple, which is a sacred place and the source of the Sikh religion. The temple attracts mainly Indian pilgrims, but has recently begun to raise its popularity among western tourists. The temple has a massive library, where you can buy books on Sikh for a very small fee and there is also free dining for all visitors. In the surrounding areas of the Temple of the Sikh are the dorms of the pilgrims, where also the tourists can stay for free, but smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited. Amritsar is exceptionally safe for an Indian city, but it is absolute important to dress and to behave respectfully in the temple.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Amritsar forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Amritsar is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.07, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $63.10, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $34.83
- Hotel (3 stars): $36.68
- Hotel (4 stars): $54.34
- Hotel (5 stars): $75.25
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.78
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.84
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.84
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.55
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.13
Amritsar has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 66.4 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 83.4 (better than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 53.2 (better than United states average 41.3)
More information: Amritsar safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.