Nanjing is a city in East China, located the delta of the Yangtze River. Nanjing literally means "The southern capital", and has been the capital of several Chinese dynasties throughout history. The city is famous for its buildings of the Ming Dynasty-era, as well as for the Ming tombs and the Confucian Temple. The main attractions in the region include the Gin Huai River, the offshoot of the Yangtze River, which flows through the city, and a number of historic buildings of the past, the Temple of the Confucians, the City Wall of Nanjing with the Gate of China, the largest port in the city wall. The wooden fortress above the this port was burned down, but its foundations and the port itself are still visible. Further attractions are the Ming tombs and the ruins the palaces and the famous Purple Mountain, which is often shrouded in "violet" mist in the morning and in the evening. In the area of Nanjing is also a number of good museums and temples."
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Nanjing forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Nanjing is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $40.94, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $114.68, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $50.84
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.41
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $5.06
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.08
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.40
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.09
Nanjing has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 86.8 (better than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 85.8 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 74.4 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Nanjing safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.