Dalian is a large city in northeast China, located in Liaotung at the tip of the peninsula close to the Korean peninsula. At the time of the Russian Empire Dalian has been part of the Trans-Siberian Railway and it has a major port and an industrial zone. Since the 1980s, however, the city has begun to develop in a better direction and became a combination of a number of parks and green hills, which make the city much more pleasant than the majority of the big Chinese cities. The main attractions are the city's squares and parks, as well as the colonial buildings, bulit by the Russian and the Japanese authorities. The city also has a couple of larger beaches with fine sand. The local beer festival, which is organized at the turn of July and August, is also worth experiencing.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Dalian forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Dalian is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $31.18, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $95.96, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $48.66
- Hotel (3 stars): $31.87
- Hotel (4 stars): $68.45
- Hotel (5 stars): $87.55
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.43
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $5.03
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $0.98
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.64
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.52
Dalian has been classified as safe with security classification 4/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 79.1 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 88.1 (better than United states average 70.3)
- Walking alone at night: 79.8 (better than United states average 41.2)
More information: Dalian safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.