Chengdu is a large city in southwest China, located at the banks of the Funan River. The area of Chengdu is very fertile and it has been China's most important food producing areas for a long time. The city is also famous for its nightlife, as well as for its showers and thunderstorms, which are occuring due to the surrounding small mountains and the nearby located Tibetan highlands in the south. The city has a small Old Town, which is the center of the nightlife, and many of the area's tea rooms also offer Sichuan opera performances. The city also has the New Century Global Center, which was opened in 2013, and which is in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest building, even though the shopping malls inside are overpriced compared to shops in the Old Town.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Chengdu forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Chengdu is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $31.35, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $89.58, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $38.89
- Hotel (3 stars): $34.29
- Hotel (4 stars): $76.08
- Hotel (5 stars): $139.94
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.30
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $4.88
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.04
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.20
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.21
Chengdu has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 76.2 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 88.6 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 72.9 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Chengdu safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.