Beijing is China's capital city and located in the north of the country. The city is China's second largest after Shanghai and also one of the most polluted. The area's most famous attractions are the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace, the Ming tombs, the Tiananmen Square, and the nearby Great Wall of China. The city also has numerous temples and more than 100 museums and art galleries. It is also worth to note, that most of the city's population does not speak English, and most of the signs and addresses are written only in Chinese.
Monthly Weather Conditions
Beijing is suitable for travelling all the year round. Considering the frequent sandstorms in spring and the extreme temperatures in summer and winter, the best time to visit the city should be September and October. May and June with early summer weather are also good choices.
More information: Beijing forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Beijing is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $34.20, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $118.18, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $42.14
- Hotel (3 stars): $47.38
- Hotel (4 stars): $82.06
- Hotel (5 stars): $149.12
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.50
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $5.16
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.00
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.70
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.57
Beijing has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 59.5 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 69.5 (a little weaker than United states average 69.9)
- Walking alone at night: 59.4 (better than United states average 40.8)
More information: Beijing safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.