Ürümqi is a large city in the northwest of China. The city's climate is half arid, so the summers are warm (+20 C) and winters are cold (-10 C), rainfall is low and reasonably even throughout the year. The city is famous for its history as a great trade center, along the Silk Road. There are now a modern tower blocks in the area, and also a couple good parks, Kunfutse Temple, as well as a large open-air market. The city's gastronomy, due to its history, is an interesting mix of Turkish, Mongolian and Chinese.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Ürümqi forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Ürümqi is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $32.92, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $95.45, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $48.97
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.29
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $4.87
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.04
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.21
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.22
Ürümqi has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 73.3 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 75.0 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 58.3 (better than United states average 41.7)
More information: Ürümqi safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In many countries in Asia the traffic is left-handed. In countries like China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: Without special contracts a rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car. The exception is China, where only a Chinese driving license is valid, so for driving in China it is either a Belgium or a Hong Kong driving license required, which can be translated to Chinese.