Tozeur is a large oasis and a small town in the southwest of Tunisia. The city's climate is hot and dry, temperatures can reach 50 C during the day in summer, and around 10 C in winter, and at night they can drop below zero. The best time to visit is November, when the hotels have plenty of space and the city holds the Phoenix Harvest Festival. The city's biggest attractions are the abandoned villages of the nearby area, which can be visited via organized day tours in four-wheel drive vehicles and on the way there are several places to swim and even waterfalls. In the area is still a number of props used in the Star Wars movies and organized trips to theses locations are offered. Close to the city there is also Tunisia's largest phoenix plantation and a huge lake, that is often completely dry.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Tozeur forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Tozeur is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $35.44, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $108.82, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $69.55
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.51
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $4.85
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.41
- Meal, McDonalds: $2.83
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $1.77
Tozeur has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 57.9 (better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 72.9 (a little better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 48.2 (better than United states average 41.1)
More information: Tozeur safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.