Djerba is a relatively large island in North Africa, located at the Tunisian coast, at the Gulf of Gabes. The island is famous for its beautiful sandy beaches, especially among the Italian and the German tourists. It is even most popular, due to the fact, that the nearby city Ajimin was used as a filming location for the first Star Wars movie in 1977. The island's climate is Mediterranean warm, the temperatures can reach up to 40 C in summer, although they are usually close to 10 C in winter or even close to zero at night. The island has an average of 30 rainy days per year. In addition to the sandy beaches and the beautiful sunrises, the island also has the largest crocodile farm in the Mediterranean region, a synagogue, a mosque, as well as the Houmt Souk market. The area is usually fairly safe, even thought in 2002 an Al Qaeda terrorist detonated a suicide bomb at the Ghriba Synagogue and killed 21 people, including 19 tourists.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Djerba forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Djerba is quite a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $43.88, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $99.20, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $73.99
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $2.01
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $3.85
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.46
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.64
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.19
Djerba has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 73.0 (better than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 100.0 (better than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 91.7 (better than United states average 41.8)
More information: Djerba safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.