Dar es salaam (Tanzania)
Dar es Salaam is a big city in Tanzania on the east coast of the Indian Ocean. The city's climate is tropical, temperatures remain very close to the 30 C throughout the year, rainfall is the highest from March to May. The city has a few good museums and a lot of beautiful sandy beaches, some kind of nightlife as well as many smaller markets, which sell everything from sculptures to clothing. In Tanzania are only very few police officers and serious crimes are really common, due to the lack of reports. Always try to avoid to be outside after dark, although robberies, thefts, pitching and rape occurs even in daylight, so you should always pay special attention to safety, when you are outdoors. As a general rule: Places with a lot of people are very often fairly safe, although you never should carry anything with you, that you are not willing to lose.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Dar es salaam forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Dar es salaam is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $48.42, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $183.28, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $91.40
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $8.59
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $15.03
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.08
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.46
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.01
Dar es salaam has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 38.3 (weaker than United states average 48.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 58.7 (weaker than United states average 69.6)
- Walking alone at night: 23.7 (weaker than United states average 41.8)
More information: Dar es salaam safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.