Johannesburg (South africa)
Johannesburg is South Africa's largest city and located in the northeast of the country. The town is known primarily for its gold and diamond trade, due to its location in the center of the country's largest gold and diamond mining area. The city's climate is a subtropical highland climate, the summers (October to April) are warm (average temperature 25 C) and humid, while the winters (May to September) are dry and cool. The city also has more than 6 million trees and these are considered to be the largest man-made forests. The city has a number of good museums, two high TV towers, the Lion Park, where you can see baby lions, the bird park, as well as numerous shopping malls. The area also offers excursions to the nearby gold mines. Johannesburg has very high crime statistics, and extra precautions are recommended. You should for example carry your money always loose in the pockets, and only as much as you need, and you should leave the rest and the more valuable jewelry or watches in custody of the hotels. Backpacks, camera bags or handbags usually rifled the most, so it is preferable to carry goods in the ordinary plastic bag and / or money belt under your clothing. Being outside alone and especially the dark should be avoided.
Monthly Weather Conditions
The best times to visit Johannesburg are from March to May and September to November. During these low season months, crowds lessen, prices drop and the weather is relatively warm and dry.
More information: Johannesburg forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Johannesburg is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $57.08, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $156.79, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $68.73
- Hotel (3 stars): $63.99
- Hotel (4 stars): $97.49
- Hotel (5 stars): $203.11
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $5.26
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $9.20
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.98
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.96
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $7.92
Johannesburg has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 19.4 (weaker than United states average 47.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 30.3 (weaker than United states average 69.5)
- Walking alone at night: 8.7 (weaker than United states average 41.7)
More information: Johannesburg safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.