Marrakech (sometimes also Marrakesh) is the fourth largest city of Morocco and located in the northwest. The city is one of the four ancient Berber Imperial cities and is situated between the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. The climate is hot and half-arid. The summers are hot and dry and the average temperature is close to 30 C. The winters are mild and humid and the average temperature is around 10 C. The average of rainy days is 5 - 7 in the winter. The city's main attraction in addition to the magnificent scenery, is the ancient city of Medina, where you can find a few good museums, numerous palaces, mosques, as well as excellent shopping opportunities in the open squares, which are often open through the night. Haggling is almost mandatory! Morocco is also famous for its riad houses, where most of the windows face to a large open courtyard. Marrakech is a reasonably safe destination, although general caution is desirable, especially in case of theft and scams.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Marrakech forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Marrakech is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $35.30, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $95.52, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $53.57
- Hotel (3 stars): $60.21
- Hotel (4 stars): $86.92
- Hotel (5 stars): $186.99
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $3.68
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $6.79
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $3.12
- Meal, McDonalds: $5.72
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.12
Marrakech has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 55.3 (better than United states average 48.8)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 61.5 (weaker than United states average 68.9)
- Walking alone at night: 39.8 (a little weaker than United states average 41.2)
More information: Marrakech safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.