Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya and the largest city in the south of the country, located at the shore of the Nairobi River. Nairobi's climate is a subtropical highland climate. The temperatures are hot during the day (average 30 C), and can drop down to zero in the night. Rain falls in this area mainly from April to May and from October to December. The city is known as the safari capital of Africa, the main attraction is the nature reserve, which surrounds the city and where the wildlife safaris take place. The city itself has also good opportunities for shopping, some nightlife, numerous golf courses, and opportunities for football, polo and rugby. Nairobi's greatest dangers are the pickpockets, crooks and even groups of 10 people, that try to trick you into purchasing something or paying attention to something, so that they can rob you. The basic rules is: If someone you don't know approaches you, say out loud "No thanks." and walk away and always try to look, as if you knew where you're going. Don't go out in the dark or leave the tourist areas."
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Nairobi forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Nairobi is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $45.12, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $180.19, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $59.93
- Hotel (3 stars): $86.71
- Hotel (4 stars): $122.77
- Hotel (5 stars): $194.29
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $12.36
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $22.25
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $2.37
- Meal, McDonalds: $6.92
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $4.94
Nairobi has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 39.9 (weaker than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 60.3 (weaker than United states average 69.0)
- Walking alone at night: 23.5 (weaker than United states average 41.3)
More information: Nairobi safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.