Sharm el-sheikh (Egypt)
Sharm el-Sheikh is a small city in Egypt, located at tip of the Sinai peninsula on the Red Sea. The area is very famous for its beautiful sandy beaches and considered to be one of the best diving sites in the world. The Tiran and the Ras Mohammed Reef are the biggest attractions of the area, however due to the unstable situation in Egypt the number of tourists has dropped dramatically. The city also offers quad and camel safaries to the Sinai desert.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Sharm el-sheikh forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Sharm el-sheikh is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $30.91, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $83.36, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $53.14
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.25
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.13
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.82
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.54
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.64
Sharm el-sheikh has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 70.4 (better than United states average 48.9)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 75.0 (better than United states average 70.3)
- Walking alone at night: 73.1 (better than United states average 41.2)
More information: Sharm el-sheikh safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.