Cairo is the capital of Egypt and the largest city in the Middle East, located at the delta of the Nile River in the north of the country. Cairo is famous for its numerous historical sites and its almost completely preserved medieval Islamic Old Town. The city is also a very popular place to access the Giza Pyramids and it is located near the Saqqara pyramid complex, which is the first stepped Egyptian pyramid. Cairo's Egyptian Museum is also almost a mandatory stopover. There are numerous artifacts and historical objects, as well as the tombs of the ancient rulers of the pyramids. Within the town there are also a few parks, and animal parks, although it is not recommended to visit these animal parks, because of the bad treatment of the animals.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Cairo forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Cairo is a cheap destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $27.94, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $58.14, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Hotel (2 stars): $23.08
- Hotel (3 stars): $41.82
- Hotel (4 stars): $72.09
- Hotel (5 stars): $135.01
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.14
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $1.91
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.84
- Meal, McDonalds: $4.60
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $3.69
Cairo has been classified as fairly safe with security classification 3/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 49.5 (a little better than United states average 49.0)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 73.3 (a little better than United states average 70.2)
- Walking alone at night: 49.9 (better than United states average 41.0)
More information: Cairo safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.