Car rental - Africa
Things which affect the renting of the car in Africa:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.
- Additional costs: Renting a car from the airport can be cheaper than elsewhere, but in some countries it may be required, that you return the car to the airport.
- Insurance: The insurances vary a lot from country to country. A car insurance is mainly compulsory, although in some countries the policies may be very little comprehensive or an insurance is not necessarily at all, unless you rent from one of the large international car rental companies. You should also keep in mind, that in developing countries scams are very common and tourists often considered to be guilty, no matter if the caused the crash or not. Corrupt police officers are also a problem throughout most of the continent, and it is usually cheaper to pay bribes on the road than paying bribes at the police station.
- Return in a different location: Large car rental companies often also allow the return of the car in a different state than the starting point, although it can be considerably costly.
- Tolls: Road tolls are mainly existing in South Africa and Morocco. Some rental companies have their own electronic toll pay devices in their cars, which must be specified as an option in connection with the rental. Otherwise the payment is paid cash or by in advanced purchased toll labels. Additional information Geography of toll roads Africa.
- Traffic: The traffic in big cities, is chaotic and congested at almost all times of the day and inside the cities it is preferable to use public transportation or taxis.