Algiers is the capital city of Algeria and the largest city on the Mediterranean Sea, in the north of the country. The modern part of the city is built on the same level with the seafront, while the Old Town is new behind the steep hill. Its highest point is the fortress Casbah, which is located 122 m above sea level. The city's climate is Mediterranean. Temperatures are close to 10 C in winter, and very close to 30 C in summer. Most of the rain in the region falls during the period from October to February. Algeria is not a popular tourist destination, and the US State Department still recommends avoiding to travel most of the country. The city's main attractions are the old fortress mosques of Casbah and the Martyrs Memorial in the new town.
Monthly Weather Conditions
More information: Algiers forecast and weather conditions monthly
Compared to prices worldwide, Algiers is an average price destination.
On a tight budget, the daily budget is approximately $73.20, which includes hostel accommodation, budget meals and public transportation.
On a moderate budget, the daily budget is approximately $139.93, which includes a moderately priced hotel, meals at moderate priced restaurants and transportation costs.
- Basic hotel: $97.81
- Taxi ride (3 miles): $1.40
- Taxi ride (6 miles): $2.61
- Beer in a restaurant (16 ounces): $1.60
- Meal, McDonalds: $3.21
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: $2.41
Algiers has been classified as quite dangerous with security classification 2/5.
Safety index values (higher is better):
- General: 47.8 (a little weaker than United states average 48.3)
- Walking alone during daytime hours: 65.0 (weaker than United states average 70.0)
- Walking alone at night: 37.5 (weaker than United states average 42.1)
More information: Algiers safety
Things which affect the renting of the car:
- Direction of traffic: In South Africa the traffic is mainly left-handed. In North Africa the traffic is right-handed.
- Age restrictions: The minimum age for renting a car is usually 18 - 25 years. Drivers under 25 years of age and over 65 years of age are charged an extra fee or get rental terms and conditions, which include to take an additional insurance for damage / collision.
- Driving abroad: A rental car can almost invariably only be driven inside of the country in which it is rented.
- Driver’s license and documents: An international driving license, passport and credit card are mostly required to rent are car.